Elena Verna on how B2B growth is changing, product-led growth, product-led sales, why you should go freemium not trial, what features to make free, and much more
Elena Verna has led growth at some of today’s most successful B2B businesses, including Miro as CMO, Surveymonkey as SVP of Growth, and now at Amplitude as interim Head of Growth. She’s also worked closely with over a dozen companies on growth and product strategy, including companies like MongoDB, Clockwise, and Netlify (where she sits on the board of directors). Elena is undoubtedly one of the smartest people on growth strategy in the world.
Thank you to our sponsors for making this episode possible:
• Persona: https://withpersona.com/lenny
• Stytch: https://stytch.com/
• PostHog: https://posthog.com/lenny
In this episode, we cover:
1) How did Elena go from an analyst at Safeway to Head of Product at Amplitude?
2) What’s changing in B2B growth?
3) What exactly is “product-led growth,” and how can you apply it at every stage of growth?
4) How is PLG already transforming itself?
5) Why do you need to be both product-led and sales-led?
6) Why does PLG often get crushed when you move upmarket, and how do you avoid this?
7) What it looks like when your PLG motion is dying.
8) Why product-led is the future of sales.
9) Why is freemium the way to go, over trial?
10) Why should you hire internally for your first growth hire?
Where to find Elena:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/elenaverna
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/elenaverna