👋 Hey, I’m Lenny and welcome to a 🔒 subscriber-only edition 🔒 of my weekly newsletter. Each week I tackle reader questions about product, growth, working with humans, and anything else that’s stressing you out about work.
Last year, I experimented with a holiday gift guide, and it proved to be quite popular (and really fun to do). So here we go again 🎁 🎉 🥳
The items below are products that I’ve used and found to be amazing, along with a bunch sprinkled in that I discovered through this killer Twitter thread.
None of these products have affiliate links, and I’m not making anything off recommending any of them. For the couple of products where I have a connection, I’ll note it in the description.
Are there any other products you’ve found game-changing and want to share with readers? Leave a comment 👇
🎉 WIN $500 IN PRIZES FROM THE GIFT GUIDE 🎉
As a bonus, you can enter to win a grab bag of products chosen from the gift guide below, valued at $500. Simply subscribe or follow Lenny’s Podcast on Apple or Spotify, and fill out this form 👇
The grand-prize winner will be notified on December 5th. The contest is open only to U.S. residents (due to international shipping complexity). If you’re already subscribed, you’re also eligible to enter. Good luck!
Sleep and health
1. WAOAW Sleep Mask: Originally discovered through Tim Ferriss, now an every-night staple. My wife and I have tried a dozen sleep masks, and this one has stuck. I suggested it to a friend who was having trouble sleeping, and here’s what he sent me later that week: “That sleep mask is a game changer. Time will tell, but this truly may have a bigger impact in my life than any of your podcast episodes 🤣”
2. Future: After years of rarely working out at all, I now work out three times a week and am the strongest and fittest I’ve been in a long time. Future matches you with a coach who designs custom workouts for you, keeps you motivated, and adjusts to your goals, equipment, and travel plans. The team at Future gave me a special code that will get you the most generous deal they’ve ever offered: your first month completely free. Just use this link to get the deal: https://future.co/lenny. [Disclaimer: I’m a small investor in Future. But I only invested after getting hooked on the product.]
3. Withings Body+ Smart Wi-Fi bathroom scale: Pairs well with the above.
4. Waking Up gift subscription: Give the gift of mindfulness 🧘
5. Water bottles: Gotta stay hydrated. I don’t have just one personal favorite, so here are a few great options: Takeya, Zojirushi, Luma, Larq, and the faithful YETI Rambler.
1. Opal: My go-to webcam. DSLR quality in a beautifully compact webcam. Use code “Lenny” to get past the waitlist. [Disclaimer: I’m an investor, but only because I love the camera so much.]
2. Shure MV7 USB Microphone: My go-to mic for podcasting, and now all the things. Don’t forget to grab a tripod or boom arm.
3. Anker Nano II 65W USB C Charger: A compact (i.e. great for travel) replacement for your MacBook Pro/Air charger brick. Here’s another version that has more ports.
4. Double: Get your colleague (or partner) a virtual executive assistant. I recently got an EA through Double, and it’s been a total game changer.
5. Vuori joggers (men’s/women’s): I’m not embarrassed to say I wear these basically 90% of the time when I’m at home. And 100% of the time during my podcast interviews. Addicted.
6. Lenny’s Newsletter: Makes a great fit for cross-functional colleagues, friends looking to get into product, and founders. Get 20% off a 1-year gift subscription using this Cyber Monday deal. If you want to get a bulk subscription for your whole team, you can also get a discount using this group subscription code.
Out and about
1. Goodr sunglasses: Discovered via @jess and now my favorite sunglasses. Affordable, polarized, great for sports, and there are dozens of styles. Also check out Izipizi.
2. Herschel Tech Daypack: I was gifted this earlier this year, and I’ve never come across a more well-thought-through laptop backpack. Makes you want to travel more.
3. JBL Charge 5 Portable Bluetooth Speaker: Best portable Bluetooth speaker I’ve owned. People also like these Wonderbooms.
4. AllTrails Pro subscription: A thoughtful gift for your outdoorsy friends. I’ve been a paid subscriber for 5+ years now. Inspired by @skonomics2k.
5. Kindle Paperwhite: Did you know this new Kindle is waterproof? WAT.
6. GCI Outdoor Roadtrip Rocker Collapsible Rocking Chair: A gift from my sister last Christmas. Best camping chair I’ve ever had. It rocks 🥁 They also have a great smaller chair.
1. ZWILLING Personal Smoothie Blender: My wife got us one of these a few months ago, and we’re now making shakes almost every day. Many people also love the Nutribullet.
2. Kyocera 8” Ceramic Chef’s Knife: Ceramic knives are sharper, lighter, dishwasher-safe, and stay sharp for longer than steel knives. How did I just learn about this? My wife got us these after watching a lot of Emily Mariko.
3. Brightland olive oil: Often recommended by my foodie friends.
4. Bierfilzl Merino Wool Felt Square Coaster: The one coaster in our home I find myself actively seeking out when I sit down for a cup of tea.
5. Dlyfull Universal Battery Tester: Thanks to this thing, I throw away so many fewer batteries now, knowing which are dead and which are still just fine. Works with every battery type.
(Many more gift options for home gifts in honorable mentions below)
Art, books, and misc.
3. Bobblegifts: Custom bobbleheads of your friends, partner, or pet. I got one of our dog, and it’s incredible.
4. Our America: A Photographic History, by Ken Burns: This just came out earlier this month. Listen to his recent interview with Tyler Cowen to get a feel.
5. Am I Overthinking This?: If you don’t have my wife’s book yet, it’s not too late. It’s now on its 7th printing, and on many coffee tables around the world. There’s also a new 2023 calendar that’ll help you avoid overthinking your plans.
6. Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice from Dear Sugar (10th Anniversary Edition): Updated edition of one of the most powerful books I’ve ever read.